Tuesday, January 1, 2013

faith

Verse 1.10: Our strength is immeasurable, and we are perfectly protected by Grandfather Bhīṣma, whereas the strength of the Pāṇḍavas, carefully protected by Bhīma, is limited.

Happy New Year everyone!

We see how in this verse Duryodhana is putting his full faith in the protection of Bhisma. This got me thinking of how often I too, out of misplaced faith, think that I am protected or safe from an influence or situation. Too many to count!

Despite being let down so many times, I always find it incredible that I keep putting my faith in the same things over and over again. The ridiculous logic is, "This time it will be different. This time it'll work."

In talking with many aspiring bhakti yogis, many have expressed that they also find it difficult to put their full faith in bhakti. Funny isn't it? We get disappointed by doing the same thing over and over and yet we doubt trying something new.

I once heard a statement that has stayed with me throughout the years. "It's just as much a leap of faith to put your trust in maya (illusory or temporary affairs) as it is to put your trust in bhakti."

It's a new year. Time for a change; so this year why not put full faith in bhakti? In fact the path of bhakti starts with sraddha or faith.

It's time to take the leap. Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment